This post is about cooking with & ingesting essential oils to add flavor and vitality to your favorite recipes or make natural remedies.
I may be compensated for links in this post at no additional cost to you
When I started using essential oils more in depth, one area I was pretty unsure about was ingestion. Is it safe to consume essential oils? How do you use them to cook or in food and drinks? I was starting pretty much from scratch!
But what I’ve learned is that essential oils are easy, safe, and beneficial to use in the kitchen and have so many purposes.
Young Living has an entire line of Non-GMO Vitality Oils labeled specifically for ingestion. They’re no different than the regular label oils, young living just wanted to make it easy for us to identify which oils are great for internal use. Whether you’re a seasoned oiler or just dipping your toes in, vitality oils are an awesome way to add depth to foods you already make and love.
I’ve used citrus oils to flavor water, thieves and lemon to make a warm tea to soothe a sore throat, herbaceous oils to add flavor and nutrition to broths, stews, soups, roasts, and so much more, lime in guacamole, and the list goes on! Read on to learn more about essential oils, how to use them, safety, recipes & tips, where to shop, and more.
watch how I use oregano, thyme, & rosemary in my pot roast recipe
Quick Essential Oil 101
Essential oils are the lifeblood of plants – compounds found in the roots, leaves, flowers, bark, and other parts of the plant, extracted by steam distillation, resin tapping, or cold pressing. Like most plant components, they’re synergistic with the human body, complimenting it and supporting it perfectly. And pure essential oils are very potent and powerful. Just one drop goes a long, long way! This is what God gave to us for sustenance, healing, and support – potent, powerful, natural plant oils.
Oils were considered a prized possession in ancient times. They were found “in the homes of with wise” along with other precious treasures. They can be used in three ways:
- Aromatic (diffusing, inhaling from the bottle, adding drop to your hand and inhaling)
- Internal (what this post is about! eating, drinking, taking in capsules)
- Topical (applying to the skin)
(these white label “vitality oils” below are no different than regular label oils, Young Living just wanted an easily identifiable line of oils that are awesome for internal use. I have about 20 different vitality oils and keep them right in my kitchen for easy use when I’m cooking. These are just a few!)
Safety & Tips
One of the biggest areas of confusion with oils is safety. This is where it becomes really important to know your brand and choose wisely. Pure, non diluted, uncontaminated essential oil should not be super cheap, smell artificial, or be dangerous.
Some tips for using oils internally are:
- Never put essential oils in your eyes or ears! That may sound like a no brainer but its worth mentioning. And if you’re cooking with oils and ever get a bit in your eyes, remember that water and oil don’t mix. So splashing water in your eyes will make it worse. Instead, put some coconut oil in the corner of your eye and it will pull the essential oil to it, then you can wipe it out with a towel.
- Since oil and water don’t mix, you can’t simply add a few drops to your drinking water and call it good! Please, please don’t add essential into your water and drink it!! This can cause severe mucosal and gastric irritation. You CAN use oils to infuse, flavor, and enrich your drinking water – but you have to have some kind of dispersing agent in order for it to work. Like honey! Add a drop of essential oil to a teaspoon of good, local honey and mix together in the bottom of your glass, then add your water and ice. The honey and oil will disperse evenly and is safe to consume this way. When adding oils to other drinks like juices, smoothies, or NingXia – you can skip the honey. The solid compounds in those drinks will help disperse the oils. The picture below is fresh celery juice, celery seed oil, and NingXia – an awesome detox drink!
- Oils pull toxins, so don’t drink or eat out of plastics when consuming oils. This is honestly a great rule to apply even without oils. We drink out of mason jars because they’re cheap, easy to replace if one breaks, and non-toxic. You can even buy stainless lids and straws for them.
- When making oil capsules, you only need 3 drops of essential oil in each capsule. So just fill the rest up with carrier oil. I’d suggest downloading the Life Science app for more specific details on making your own oil capsules for specific needs.
- Don’t overdo it. Ok, so this is more of a taste issue. Remember, essential oils are super potent! 1 drop each of thyme, rosemary, and basil is plenty to fill an entire pot roast with a really rich aroma and flavor. If you add too much it will be really, really strong!
So, that about sums it up: No oils in your eyes or ears, be smart when mixing water and oil, avoid plastic, and don’t overdo it!
Recipes & Ideas
There are endless possibilities when using essential oils in the kitchen! Here are a few ways I use mine.
- Drinks – We kind of talked about this above.
- I do drink oil infused water a lot using the little teaspoon of honey trick! I also love adding in fresh mint leaves, berries, or other fruit.
- Smoothies also happen several times a week for us and a drop of lemon, lime, orange, or grapefruit oil is a perfect way to complement the sweetness from all the fruit.
- You can infuse hot teas and coffee with oils as well. Just make sure there’s something to disperse it like honey or cream.
- Juices and oil are another good combination. Like the celery juice above, you can get creative with this one. I like making my juice at home so I know what’s in it and we can skip all the additives.
- Baking – I LOVE baking with oils!!
- I add a drop or two of copaiba to my sourdough chocolate chip cookies
- Cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove are favorites in pancakes, banana or zucchini breads, muffins, etc. Anything that would be good with a spice flavor! Lemon oil is also a really good addition to blueberry pancakes or muffins.
- Savory oils really compliment garlic or cheesy breads.
- This list could get really, really long – but use your imagination!! Getting creative is the fun part.
- Cooking – Also so many options here!
- I love adding oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil, black pepper, celery seed, carrot seed, fennel, and thieves to a huge batch of bone broth. It really packs a punch, adds flavor, and is perfect for soups when you’re under the weather!
- Marinades – this is such a fun one, you can kick any marinade up a notch with a couple drops of oil to complement the seasonings
- Condiments – Lemon, lime, and dill are a few of my faves to use in my homemade mayo, mustard, ranch, etc.
- Salsas and dips – lemon + lime in guac, say no more! Ranch dip, queso, salsa, hummus – all are perfect for adding oils.
Making Oil Capsules
Did you know Young Living sells clear veggie capsules so you can actually make your own natural internal remedies? This is so important. Traditional counterparts often have serious side effects and don’t really get to the root of the issue. I won’t go into specific conditions or recipes here. But I will just tell you, you can pretty much make a remedy for anything non-emergent. I would encourage you to do some research on this, once again download the Life Science app, and be prepared with the resources you need to whip something up the next time you need a solution.
How to Shop Oils
Quality is so important to me when I’m making an investment. I want to know where and how things I’m buying were produced, and that it’s not contaminated, diluted, or modified. Just like finding a trusted source for meat, dairy, produce, etc. I trust Young Living’s seed to seal promise and exclusively use and recommend their oils and oil infused products. It’s also just simpler to shop for all of our non-toxic needs all in one place.
I’ve been a wholesale member since 2018 when I bought a starter kit. That kit came with a free membership (and still does!) which made it easy to start transitioning all of our household stuff to young living brand. As a member, you don’t have to make any monthly purchases if you don’t want to. Your membership will stay active for free as long as you spend 50PV (about $50) a year. Yes, you only have to buy $50 worth of young living products a YEAR to stay a wholesale member for free.
Now, young living does have an optional rewards program (Essential Rewards)that members can opt into for free if they want to place a custom order every month. I opted into it right when I got my kit and I’ve found most people do, but like I said it’s totally optional!
This monthly rewards program is by far the best way to shop for oils if you know you’re going to be using them regularly as well as other Young Living lifestyle products like Savvy Makeup, Thieves, NingXia, etc.
It works like this: (watch a video on the ER program)
- Become a member if you aren’t already by purchasing a starter kit
- Opt into Essential Rewards at any time for free
- Log on to your account and customize your order monthly (must be at least 50PV)
- Take advantage of monthly promos by earning free oils & products
- Earn points back on each monthly order! 10% months 0-3, 20% months 4-24, and 25% month 25 and beyond.
- Get loyalty gifts the longer you’re in the program.
- Get cheaper, faster shipping.
- Drop out at any time with no penalties. It’s all about rewarding us for ordering regularly, not penalizing us if we choose not to!
It really does matter who you get started with! I’m here to support you through your journey with oils, give you all my favorite resources to be your own advocate, connect you with awesome facebook groups, and continue sharing my journey as it evolves!
I always send a welcome e-mail to new members with the option to connect live on messenger, FaceTime, or in person, teach a class for you, or help you get set up and understand your membership.
Our facebook group also has its own promotions with chances to win freebies that vary month to month. So, I do believe it’s important to start smart with someone who will support you in learning!
That’s it for today!
Thanks for learning along with me & I’d love to hear your favorite way to use vitality oils in the comments below!!
Read more posts related to ingesting essential oils
I am not responsible for your healthcare, do not guarantee any certain results, or claim to diagnose, treat, or cure any condition. Please do not make treatment decisions based on my recommendations, but do your own research. Click here to read my full disclosure.